Pre-engineering at Edgewood

Edgewood has a dual degree program in which students can get a liberal arts degree from Edgewood and a BS degree from UW-Madison or Marquette in an engineering field. Students who maintain a 3.0 GPA in science and math classes are guaranteed admission to the School of Engineering.

The dual degree program is typically a 3-2 program. Students spend their first three years at Edgewood fulfilling general education requirements, and taking math and science classes that will transfer towards their engineering degrees. Students then spend their last two years in the School of Engineering at UW-Madison or Marquette. In addition to engineering coursework, students also complete a (paid!) internship for a summer or semester during this time. These internships often lead to jobs after graduation. (The internship can also fulfill Edgewood's COR 3 requirement.)

At Edgewood, students interested in pre-engineering should plan to major in Natural Science and Mathematics. The required courses for this major are:

  • CHEM 120 S General Chemistry I
  • CHEM 121 S General Chemistry II
  • MATH 231 M Calculus I
  • MATH 232 M Calculus II
  • MATH 233 M Calculus III
  • MATH 331 Differential Equations
  • PHYS 201 S College Physics I
  • PHYS 202 S College Physics II
  • PHYS 350 I Scientific Computing
  • PHYS 360 Modern Physics

First year students should start by taking Chemistry 120 and Calculus the fall semester at Edgewood. In the spring semester, pre-engineering students will take Physics 201, and continue taking Chemistry and Calculus.

Placement and/or credit for AP Physics, Calculus, and Chemistry may be available. Contact your freshman advisor for details.

If you earned a 4 or a 5 on one or both of the AP Physics C exams, you may place out of Physics 201 (Mechanics) or 202 (Electromagnetism).

If you took the AP Physics B exam, you must start with Physics 201 regardless of score.

The UW-Madison School of Engineering requires students to have a 4 or 5 on AP Calculus exams to get credit for Calculus 1. If you got a 3 on this exam, you will need to retake Calc 1 at Edgewood.

If you scored a 4 the AP Chem exam, you can start with CHEM 121. If you scored a 5, you can place out of both semesters.

Many students also chose to do a minor in physics, chemistry, or mathematics. See the catalog for additional information major and requirements.

Contact Rachael Lancor for questions on the pre-engineering major or dual degree program.

^ Back to Top